Sunday, January 1, 2012

Out with the old and in with the new - a 2012 wish

A friend sent me an email the other day, pointing out that 2011 had been a year of one emotional punch to the gut after another for me...and you know what?  She’s absolutely right.  2011 was my very own Annus Horribilis...a horrible year indeed. 
And yet, when I look back, I see how much good there truly was...because of the breakdown of my marriage, my relationship with my daughters has grown and we have become closer than I ever thought possible.  I helped them through this trying year and they have done the same for me. 

Christmas self-portrait - even the dog wanted in on the action!
I no longer have that male voice reminding me of my imperfections, how I am not pretty enough, young enough, smart enough or good enough...and I relish the silence. 

A granddaughter was born...what a reason to celebrate!  A beautiful little bundle of love...she helped remind me of the goodness in this world. 

Existing friendships evolved, some ended, new ones made, here and in blogland...how wonderful to know other people appreciate and value who I am.  I travelled on my own, with family and with friends...new adventures, good and bad, but always a learning experience. 

Good times in San Francisco.
Through it all, I quilted, I planned projects, I searched for fabric, I cut, sewed, cut some more and sewed more, piece by piece, discovering my likes, dislikes, who I am as a quilter, as a mother, as a friend and as a human being.
So, goodbye 2011.  Thank you for all the lessons you’ve taught me, but I don’t really want any more learning experiences or times of personal growth.  My greatest wish for 2012 is to live in peace.  Sounds simple enough, and yet...
I hope we all find ways to spend more time in our sewing room this year, more time sharing quilt stories and tips, and more laughter with friends and family, yes, definitely more laughter and joy in 2012. 

May you be filled with gentle loving kindness
May you be well
May you be peaceful and at ease

Mary-Frances

8 comments:

  1. Peace to you, Mary-Frances, in 2012 and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, peace, serenity and gentle loving kindness. Best to you in 2012, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wishing the same for you. Peace, Love, Calm, Tranquility and Joy. That new baby is precious - tons for cuddle, holding time for you both!!

    Happy New Year. 2012 - a time for fresh ideas and new start!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to wish you all the best for 2012 Mary Frances. 2011 was a bad year for me too but quilting keeps me going. looking forward to being your bloggy friend this year and reading all your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you all the best to come in 2012! And enjoy that beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can 2012 not be a better year for you? There is a precious little granddaughter to hold and watch as she grows and changes - almost daily. Best of health to you in the coming year so that you can enjoy your peaceful life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now on to bigger, better things!! Quilt away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are going to be just fine....I see an extremely happy you in the near future, so watch out world here she comes.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for leaving a comment.