Friday, March 25, 2011

Ohio Star Tutorial

Hello everyone!  Last night, the Sew'n Sews gathered at Marilyn's for another evening of laughter and sewing.  We made Ohio Stars to add to our growing collection of blocks.  Now I know many quilt blocks often have different names but I've always known this block as the Ohio Star.  If you know this by a different name, please let me know. 

For our blocks, each of us selected three different fabrics, a light, a medium and a dark.  One fat quarter of each is more than plenty.  I used scraps from previous blocks.  

Cutting instructions:

From the light fabric cut: 
1 - 4" x 4" block
4 - 3-1/4" x 3-1/4" blocks

From the dark fabric cut:
1 - 4" x 4" block

From the medium fabric cut: (these blocks make the star)
2 - 4" x 4" blocks
1 - 3-1/4" x 3-1/4" block


Enjoy!
Mary-Frances

My fabric selection.  I selected the medium fabric, the turquoise, as my star fabric. 


Here are my 3-1/4" squares.

Here are my 4" squares - please note I have twice as many blocks in the photo because I made two blocks instead of one.  The cutting instructions found above are for one block.


Place one dark square over one medium square, right sides together.  Place one light square over one medium square, right sides together.


Draw a diagonal line, corner to opposite corner on your block.  Pin together.


You will now sew a scant 1/4" seam from the middle line.  Do this on both sides of the line.  Repeat for your second block.

This is what your block will look like.  The line you drew and used as a guide for sewing is now your cutting line.


Lay both blocks on your cutting mat, use your ruler as a guide and cut your block.


You will now have two pieces for each block.


Press open.
 
Take one light block and place it on top of the dark block, right sides together and seam to seam.  Make certain the light fabric is placed on top of the medium fabric...

...as shown here.


Now, draw a diagonal line opposite your existing seam.  Pin together.


Sew a scant 1/4" seam on each side of the drawn line.


Cut along the diagonal line, you now have four hourglass blocks.

Press open.  Trim the dog-ears - those little pieces of fabric found at each corner of the block.


Lay out your squares to see how everything fits together.  The dark fabric creates a "circle" around the center square.  Be sure to measure your hourglass blocks to make certain they are the correct size - 3-1/4".  I had to trim mine down a bit as I made my seams a little smaller than I should have.  Once everything is squared up, begin sewing your blocks together, row by row.


Press and enjoy your beautiful Ohio Star block!


1 comment:

I love hearing from you - thanks for leaving a comment.