Tuesday, October 11, 2011

It all began with Alex Anderson...


Sometimes you need to take a look at where you've been in order to appreciate how far you've come. 

It's been over eight years since I first saw Alex Anderson on tv on a show called Simply Quilts.  I always believed quilting was out of my reach because I am not and never was a "sewer" - someone who can magically whip up the frothiest dresses for their daughters and the coolest outfits for their sons.  No, that's not me...I was the kind of mother who, in desperation, used the glue gun to finish putting together her children's Power Ranger's costumes for Hallowe'en oh so many years ago.  
I wish I were kidding...really, I do. 
 
I never imagined that I would find myself, years later, taking part in on-line quilting bees, making free-form quilts like this red & white one, embracing the freedom of liberated quilting, testing the waters of the modern quilt styles, and yes, even learning how to applique...and finding so many others who feel the same way I do.
Who knew?
  
This is where I began, over eight years ago.  Three hand-pieced blocks and crooked as all get out, but it was enough to get me hooked on quilting.  It's been a grand adventure so far being part of the quilting world and it all began with Alex Anderson's Simply Quilts!  Thanks Alex!
 Mary-Frances

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I used to love Simply quilts, too. I even taped the show for a while. I do wish they would put a quilt show back on.

    It is amazing when we look back and see how far we have come in our hobby.

    Zoey

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for leaving a comment.