Friday, May 13, 2011

Quilting bee block for May

Hi everyone!  I finally finished my on-line quilting bee block for May.  Sara gave us a bit of a challenge this month and asked that we create "lakes and islands."  Take a look and see.

Enjoy!
Mary-Frances


First part of Sara's instructions asked that we use green or mostly green fabrics.

I sorted through my scraps and made three blocks.

 
Each one is 9.5 x 9.5 inches

 
Create a lake by cutting out a shape from the block, making sure not to get too close to the edge.

 
Take a 9.5 x 9.5 inch square of blue fabric and place under the green block.  Pin in place.


Stitch together, using a zig-zag stitch.  Flip over and trim the blue fabric, 1/4 inch away from the stitching.  You now have a blue block with a big hole in it!

Now for the island.  Take the green fabric piece that was cut out of the large block.  Add fabric to it until it cover the hole in the blue fabric.  Place over the hole, pin in place and stitch together, using a zig-zag stitch once again.


Here are my two island blocks.
  
Here are the two lakes.


I left one block as is...it can be a field next to her lakes! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for leaving a comment.