Saturday, July 23, 2011

Slave Lake Quilt - more information

Hello everyone!  Last week I received a lovely email from Linda who owns Patchwork Fabrics in Slave Lake asking me to pass along some further information on quilt donations for Slave Lake.  For those of you wondering if there is still a need for quilts...yes.  For those of you wondering where to send the quilts...this email will provide that information for you.

Thanks again to all for helping.

Mary-Frances

Good Afternoon,

My name is Linda Beeston and I own Patchwork Fabrics the quilt store in Slave Lake. Upon returning to town after the evacuation and having both my home and business spared I knew I needed to do something to help my fellow Slave Lakers who had not been so fortunate and had lost everything. I knew quilts were already being collected by Pat White through her store Sew Devine in Edmonton so I contacted her to see if she had any plans on distributing them. She very graciously handed them over to me and they were the first 96 quilts of what I had already named "BLANKETING SLAVE LAKE WITH LOVE one quilt at a time."

There were 732 households lost including 300 apartments. My goal is for each household to receive a quilt as well as each child and I have a rough estimate of 800-1000 children. The families are being registered at my store and then a family member, friend, neighbor or co-worker come in to the store and choose quilts for a family and personally deliver them to that family.  There is an article in the July/August issue of the Country Register and I have also started a blog at patchworktalks.blogspot.com as well as a BLANKETING SLAVE LAKE WITH LOVE group through my Patchwork Fabrics Facebook page.

My address is Patchwork Fabrics
Box 1585, 204 4th ave. N.W.
Slave Lake, Alberta T0G 2A0
Phone number at the store is 780-849-6464


Thank you for all you have done already. I have received so many thanks for the quilts and I think what stands out the most is how these quilts are helping to give the rv's ,hotel rooms etc a homey feel and are something so special to them. To date 325 quilts have been handed out through this project.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for passing the info along. There definitely is a huge network of Quilters across our incredible country and I just hope one day Slave Lake quilters can pay all this generosity forward . Thank you to everyone who is contributing to "BLANKET SLAVE LAKE WITH LOVE." and it truly is being accomplished "one quilt at a time". Linda

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for leaving a comment.