Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A trip to the Big Apple!

Hello Everyone!  I was so lucky earlier this month, not only did I get to travel to New York city with a few friends, I also got to meet the one and only Victoria of Bumblebeans

Enjoy!
Mary-Frances


Victoria and I in her fabulous studio!
She graciously spent time talking to a friend and I and showed us a few of her incredible quilts.  It was a treat to meet someone from blogland and she gave us some insider tips on where to shop for fabric in the city.  What a generous and creative person...but if you follow her blog at all, you knew that already, right? :-)


Here's Victoria discussing her process...

...and showing us her all-time favourite quilt, the kitchen sink quilt.  What an incredible work of art...so inspiring!

Here's another inspiring work of art...Jackson Pollock's #31, found at the Museum of Modern Art.  I know abstract expressionism isn't for everyone, but there's something about it that fascinates me.


I also made a point to find the Museum of Folk Art while in New York and took a few photos of the wonderful antique quilts they had on display.


A Gee's Bend quilt...I was thrilled to finally be able to see one of these quilts in person!


Many of the quilts on display were star quilts, one of my favourite type of quilts.


This was called a Cactus Flower quilts, very striking!


One of the Amish quilts on display.  Most of the quilts dated back to the late 1800's and early 1900's.


1 comment:

I love hearing from you - thanks for leaving a comment.