Friday, January 14, 2011

scrap block tutorial

Hello Everyone!  Brrrrr...it's another cold one here in Calgary, light snow outside and a high of -22C (-8F)....yup, that's the high temperature for the day, so I thought this might be a good time to show you how I made those scrappy blocks I posted about the other day.

I should be packing up the house and getting everything ready for the renovations, but really, what would you rather do....pack or spend time in the sewing room??  I knew you would agree with me...;-)

Enjoy!
Mary-Frances



Scrap basket emptied on the sewing table, ready to use...

Telephone paper, cut to size: Top rectangle is 6.5 x 4 inches; purple strip is 6.5 x 1.5 inches; bottom rectangle is 6.5 x 2.5 inches 


First scrap picked out and placed on top of telephone book paper foundation...be sure to shorten your stitch length so it's easier to remove the paper once your are done

Second scrap piece selected...


...and ready to sew on...


...finger press open and add third scrap, placed to the side just to change the direction of the strips in the block...

...continue adding until your foundation paper is covered...it won't look pretty at this stage...



...press with hot iron...

...trim away excess fabric to shape of foundation paper, some of the larger scraps will go back into my scrap basket...
 
...there you have one rectangle complete...
...add purple strip, I leave the foundation paper on until the block is finished, but you could certainly remove it at this point if you like...


...one block done, trim to desired size (6.5x 6.5 inches).


2 comments:

  1. Brrr, that's freezing!!! I definitely think you made the right choice - staying inside and doing something you enjoy makes a cold day a much better one in my opinion haha! It's cool to see how those scrappy blocks are put together!

    xoxox Your daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to remove the foundation paper from all but the outside edges. I like to keep that seam line for attaching blocks. It seems so much easier to remove just the outside pieces of paper once everything is assembled.

    I have left it all until the end, but on a king-sized quilt that is a LOT of paper removal! LOL.

    I guess everyone has their own way of doing it.

    Brrr... it is pretty cold in your part of the world!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for leaving a comment.