Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bountiful Harvest and Turkey Leftover Recipe

There will be turkey and potatoes and pickles and pie and a whole lot of other yummy stuff this weekend because my oven is FIXED!  Hooray!  I've been baking up a storm this week, getting everything ready for Thanksgiving, banana chocolate chip muffins are just out of the oven and then it's on to the cranberry sauce and the pumpkin pies. 

Stocking up the pantry and freezer with dill pickles, bread & butter pickles and tomato sauce.  The potatoes and carrots are from a friends garden as my carrots are still in the ground, guess I should get on that.  I baked the pumpkin yesterday and the puree will be used for pies.

First thing I made after the oven was fixed - apple crisp.
 
Cheater cookies - not as good as homemade but oh so cute.
 For those of you wondering what to do with some of that leftover turkey, here's a recipe that my family enjoys - it's from the Canadian Living Christmas Cookbook.  These are not breakfast pancakes (but hey, who am I to judge?) but are good for lunch with a nice green salad.  They sound awful - well, I thought they did until I actually tried them.

Turkey Cranberry Pancakes

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey
1/2 cup cranberry sauce
2 tbsp chopped green onion

In large bowl, beat together egg, milk, sour cream and butter.  Stir in flour, baking powder and salt just until blended.  Fold in turkey, cranberry sauce and onion.

Heat pan until a few drops of water bounce and sizzle when sprinkled on top.  Drop 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto hot pan, spreading into circle 1/2 inch thick.

Cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until bubbles appear on top; turn and cook for 4 minutes more.  Remove to warm serving platter.  Makes 8 - 10 pancakes.

Serve with additional cranberry sauce and salad.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll send this recipe over to my daughter. We won't be having turkey since there won't be anyone here. All the young'uns will be a friend's cottage up north. It's supposed to be a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for leaving a comment.