Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Something borrowed, something blue....

I picked up a book from the library yesterday showcasing the 2009 Quilt National exhibit.  This is a biennial exhibit that showcases contemporary art quilts.  Now these are beyond anything I hope to do, or can do, or want to do really, but they're pretty amazing quilts and worth looking at.  Here's a link to the website and some photos of the quilts http://www.dairybarn.org/quilt/index.php?section=226&page=240  Over 1000 quilts are entered into the competition and 87 were selected.  Two Canadians made the cut, Anna Hergert of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (http://www.annahergert.com/Anna_Hergert_Artist/Welcome.html) & Andree Fredette of Saturna Island, BC.  Check it out if you have time.

Now that takes care of the something borrowed so on to the something blue...cool blue that is.


This is a photo of the quilt as shown in the magazine.  Finished quilt is 60 x 76. 
BH &G American Patchwork & Quilting, February 2010, Issue 102.

This is a drawing of my interpretation of that same quilt. 
I haven't quite decided what I'll do with the large white squares in the corner, but there are a number of possibilities - I could free-hand quilt the squares in a pattern that copies the blocks, I could create blue and white crazy quilt blocks, I could sew together strips of blue fabric and cut them so they create a diamond pattern.....etc, etc.  I'm sure you can think of other possibilities too.

So here's the quilt taking shape.  I'm running out of floor space so taking photos is a bit of a challenge right now.  I stood on my sewing chair to get this shot - sorry it's so dark. 
This should give you a sense of what it will look like though. 
The finished quilt will be 80 x 80.

Unfortunately, that's all I have for you today.  Haven't been in the sewing room much this week, something I hope to rectify today...woohoo! 

Mary-Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for leaving a comment.